Montessori Method

“The Secret of Good Teaching”

The secret of good teaching is to regard the child’s intelligence as a fertile field in which seeds many be sown, to grow under the heat of flaming imagination. Our aim therefore is not merely to make the child understand, and still less to force him to memorize, but so to touch his imagination as to enthuse him to his inner most core. We do not want complacent pupils, but eager ones: we seek to sow life in the child rather than theories, to help him in his growth, mental and emotional as well as physical, and for that we must offer grand and lofty ideas to the human mind, which we find ever ready to receive them, demanding more and more

~ Maria Montessori – To educate the human potential

What is the Montessori Method?

The Montessori method of education is based on two principles: giving children guided freedom to learn and explore, and providing a learning environment that stimulates exposure and experience. Within this environment, children develop in a range of different areas (intelligence, social, psychological, and physical). Montessori education promotes the innate satisfaction that a child gains from completing a task, and creates curious, self-motivated, responsible individuals.

90% Montessori, 10% Traditional

At Marpole Bilingual Montessori we take a bilingual approach to the Montessori Philosophy but with structured traditional teachings as well. We feel this provides the students with the freedom to explore, create and design but also provides them with the foundation to succeed later in their academic career. 90% of our curriculum is derived from the Montessori method, and the remaining 10% is a traditional education approach with enrichment activities.

Montessori Illustrated